The Ondo State government has given a new directive to public transporters and commuters in the state.
A statement signed by the special adviser to Governor Akeredolu on Transport, Tobi Ogunleye, Esq, noted that the measures became imperative as part of efforts to curtail the spread of the novel coronavirus.
The statement urged transporters to avoid 100% passengers’ service for now by reducing the number of commuters or passengers in their vehicles or on motorcycle as the case may be.
Read below the full statement on the matter:
COVID 19: Public transport preventive measures guidelines to curb further spread of corona virus in buses, cabs, tricycles, Okada ,motor parks and garages.
As part of the efforts by the Ondo State Government to further prevent a State- wide spread of COVID-19 especially in motor parks, garages and other public transportation related environment, the Ondo State Ministry of Transport is hereby notifying the general public through this statement that the following guidelines are henceforth compulsory for all stakeholders in public Transportation in the State to comply with:
1. All Transport Operators/Companies are expected to sanitize their parks and garages regularly and continuously (at least before and after each trip)
2. All Transport Operators/Companies are expected to have at the entrance to their respective parks/garages, washing hand equipment with soap and running water.
3. All Operators are expected to have alcohol based sanitizers in their Vehicles for the use of Drivers, Conductors and Passengers
4. All Operators are not allowed to over crowd/over load their vehicles at this point in time, Passenger’s spacing must be fully observed. NCDC recommends that at least 2m (5feet) distance is required between anyone showing symptoms of respiratory illness.
5. All buses should be at 60% capacity and not 100%.
6. All Air Conditioning System in public transport be put off
7. All public transport Operators/Company must have temperature reader to test each passenger before boarding the bus
8. All drivers tricylists, Okada riders and conductors should always wear hand gloves and nose guides while transit.
9. All passengers are also required to sanitize themselves before and after each trip
10. Passengers are also required to regularly wash their hands with soap and running water before and after each trip.
11.All tricycle operators should have maximum of 3 passengers including the rider.
12.All Okada riders should not carry more than one passenger and must comply with the existing rules of using the government prescribed crash helmet to cover their head and nose.
13. Operators/Companies and passengers are expected to report any suspected case of COVID-19 to the Ministry of Transport or call 08000CORONA
14. Passengers are also expected to report any Operator/Company that does not comply with these guidelines to the Monitoring Officer at sight or write to the Ministry, stating the Vehicle Registration Number, Park and Time.
With this directives well disseminated to you our transport Stakeholders and the men of the realms of fourth estate, we are confident that together we can put off this ranging fire of COVID-19.
Together we can stop further spread of the virus in Ondo State and Nigeria.
Tobi Ogunleye Esq.
Special Adviser to Ondo State Governor on Transport.