More facts have emerged over the fire incident that occurred at the INEC office in Akure on Thursday night.
Eye witness reports that men of the Ondo state Fire Service who arrived at scene shortly after the fire started were helpless as their fire truck refused to work.
The Precision NG reports that INEC officials including the national commissioner in charge of information and voter education, Festus Okoye and the state Resident Electoral Commissioner, Ambassador Rufus Akeju expressed shock at the incident.
Read more: Breaking News: UI Building On Fire
They said though the fire is a set back, it will not affect the October 10 governorship election. No life was lost to the fire.
The Precision NG had reported that the fire incident started around 8pm and razed the large container housing the commission’s card readers.
5000 smart card readers were reportedly lost into the inferno.