One of the key resonating themes during the conference of Ondo State Branch of Chartered Institute of Personnel Management of Nigeria (CIPM) held recently, was for workers to tap into investment options available in their environment for additional earnings.
- The conference, held ( virtual) and onsite at the Public Service Training Institute (PSTI), Ilaramokin with the theme: “Navigating the New World of Work: Empowering Individuals for Success” was the 8th edition of the branch.
- At the opening glee, the National Registrar/Chief Executive of the Institute, Mrs. Oluwatoyin Naiwo, FCIPM led the Institute’s code of professional conduct following which the President & Chairman of the Governing Council, Mr. Olusegun Mojeed, FCIPM declared the conference open virtually.
- The keynote speaker, Comrade Isaac Obinyan spotlighted the dynamic of doing business and said having multiple sources of income was critical to navigate the prevailing economic challenges in the country. He urged civil servants to evolve investment plan and start engaging in businesses now and ahead of their retirement years as well as taking their health and wellbeing seriously because “health in retirement is wealth”.
- Obinyan, a researcher and business guru warned that it would be foolhardy for workers to keep waiting without becoming entrepreneurs and business owners but assume that they would need less money in their retirement. He identified a myriad of business opportunities that abound in agriculture, real estate, equity, treasury bills, among others which could be explored for those who are prepared and ready to take action (risk).
- While emphasising the need for requisite skills, innovativeness and creativity for better outcome in one’s business, Obinyan who is the CEO and founder of Maxi and Alex Herbal added “you have to look for the business in business, in other words, go for that aspect that yield more value ( income).” Speaking further, Obinyan analyzed both challenges and opportunities in doing business and recommended strategic solutions part of which is to acquire the competencies and network to navigate through competitive and challenging business space.
- In her own lecture, entitled “Harnessing Emotional Intelligence for Optimal Teamwork, Conflict Resolution and Leadership”, Dr. Margaret Ola-Adams said interpersonal skills was an important aspect of emotional intelligence. Ola-Adams who is the Assistant Director and Head of Training, Industrial Training Fund, Akure Area Office noted that workers should imbibe the spirit of teamwork, study, understand and manage the moods and feelings in both themselves and other staff at their workplace to achieve better productivity and cooperation.
- Also speaking on Shaping the Future Generation: Assisting Children in Choosing Fulfilling Career, Mr. Michael Joshua harped on the need for parents to understudy their children to know the inherit potential. He said doing that would help in tailoring such potential for the right career choices of their children.
- At the onboarding section for the new inductees, Mr. Igbekele Jatuwase while congratulating the new entrants tasked them to always abide by the ethics of the institute and distinguish themselves in their various workplace.
10. Earlier, the Head of Service, Mr. Kayode Ogundele, FCIPM went the memory lane to explain the formative (and growing) period of the branch during the Solomon Oladuni’s presidency and appreciated past leaders for their valuable contributions. He said the activities defining CIPM and which mark it different from other institutes have been sustained over the years and lauded the Ageh-led executive in the State for keeping the flag flying.
- The Chairman of the branch, Mr. Ayodeji Ageh in his address of welcome said since the world of work is constantly evolving, resisting any form of change would be detrimental. He appreciated those individuals, organizations as well as the State government for support given to CIPM from time to time.
- One of the new inductees, Mrs. Tolulope Oluwasesan of the Ondo State Government Service Matters Department expressed excitement that she was found worthy to be member of CIPM after the preliminary assessment by the Institute. She said the conference was deeply insightful and thought provoking even as the resource persons are vast in the subject of discourse while participants were offered essential medical tests and counseling services.
Last line: become an entrepreneur and business owner today!