Place your advert here

205 Boko Haram Suspects Convicted In Mass Trials | The Precision

0
9
File Photo: Boko Haram leader, Abubakar Shekau still at large
Nigeria’s ministry of justice on Monday said more than 200 people have been convicted in Nigeria
on charges related to their involvement with Boko Haram.

The
convictions of 205 people in mass trials mark the conclusion of the
second stage of the country’s biggest legal challenge to Boko Haram,
which began an insurgency in 2009 aimed at creating an Islamic state in
northeastern Nigeria. 
“Most of them were convicted for
professing to belong to the terrorist group, (or) concealing information
about the group which they knew or believe to be of material assistance
that could lead to the arrest, prosecution or conviction of Boko Haram
members,” the justice ministry said in a statement. 

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});

Jail terms ranged from three to 60 years, said the ministry. 
It
also said a total of 526 people allegedly affiliated with Boko Haram
had been released for rehabilitation during the second stage, and said
73 cases had been adjourned. 
More than 20,000 people have been killed and two million forced to flee their homes since the insurgency began. 
Humanitarian
groups have criticised the Nigerian authorities’ handling of some of
those detained for infringing on the suspects’ rights. (Reuters)

NEWSLETTER SUBSCRIPTION

Enter your email address to subscribe to this website and receive notifications of new posts by email.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here