2019: Over 456,000 PVCs Yet To Be Collected In Ondo



Less than 38 days to the 2019 general elections, 456,517 permanent voter cards (PVCs) are yet to be collected by residents of Ondo state, The Precision has learnt.

Available records show that the total number of registered voters in the state as at the last continuous voter registration (CVR) on 31st August, 2018 stood at 1,828,219.

The total number of the PVCs collected from 2015 to 2nd January, 2019 however stood at 1,394,401.

It was gathered that the high number of PVCs uncollected was due to residents that requested for transfer of PVCs from previous locations, while others are those who registered afresh during the last CVR and those that sought for replacement either as a result of a card deface or loss.

Meanwhile, Lagos and Kano states dominated the consolidated Register of Voters for 2019 general elections.

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) disclosed this in a report presented by its chairman, Professor Mahmood Yakubu, to political party leaders on Monday in Abuja.

According to the commission, the total number of Nigerians registered so far is 84,004,084.

It explained that 14,283,734 new voters were registered in the Continuous Voters Registration exercise between April 2019 and August 2018.

A breakdown of the total figure reveals that Lagos has 6,570,291 registered voters while 5,457,747 people registered in Kano.

Kaduna, Katsina, and Rivers are trailing the two states having recorded 3,932,492; 3,230,230; and 3,215,273 registered voters respectively.

On the other hand, Ekiti and Bayelsa states have the lowest number of registered voters in the country with 909,967 and 923,182 people respectively.

The North West zone has 20,158,100 (24 per cent), North East – 11,289,293 (13.44 per cent), North Central – 13,366,070 (15.91 per cent).

In the southern region, South South has 12,841,279 (15.29 per cent), South East – 10,057,130 (11.97 per cent), and South West – 16,292,212 (19.39 per cent).

A further breakdown shows that 39,598,645 representing 47.14 per cent of the 84,004,084 are female while 44,405,439 covering the remaining 52.86 per cent are male.

For the age distribution, 18-35 covers 42,938,458 (51.11 per cent); 25,176,144 (29.97 per cent) are between 36-50; 12,788,511 (15.22 per cent) fall within 51-70, while the number of 70 and above is 3,100,971 representing 3.69 per cent.

INEC stressed that it updated the 2015 register with the records of those who registered between 2016 and 2018, in line with the provisions of the Electoral Act 2010 as amended.

Donate to Precision


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here