BEING TEXT OF A SPEECH DELIVERED BY HIS IMPERIAL MAJESTY,
OBA (DR) ALADETOYINBO OGUNLADE ALADELUSI (ODUNDUN II)
AT THE INAUGURATION CEREMONY OF THE NEW CHAIRMAN AND ONDO STATE COUNCIL OF OBAS HELD AT THE INTERNATIONAL CULTURAL AND EVENT CENTRE, DOME, ALAGBAKA, AKURE ON TUESDAY 19TH JULY, 2022
Today is a remarkable day in the history of the Traditional Institutions in Ondo State as it marks another milestone and the official inauguration of the Oba’s council under my watch as the Chairman.
Mr. Governor, it is with utmost joy that I welcome all my colleague Royal Fathers from the length and breadth of our dear sunshine state for this historic occasion.
I want to sincerely appreciate your Excellency, Mr. Talk and Do for approving my appointment as the Chairman of this Council to steer its affairs for a period of two years. I equally appreciate you for keeping your promise and living up to expectation to uphold the solemn vow that you made to the good people of Ondo State that you shall ensure the safety of lives and properties of every citizens and residents of the sunshine State.
Though, the Owo massacre left us with a bitter pill. We are however consoled with the fact that you are resolute that we do not yield any part of our territory in Ondo State and Yoruba Land to these hoodlums and criminals. I pray that the Lord will continue to strengthen you.
Once again, we commiserate with the Olowo of Owo, Alayeluwa, Oba Ajibade Gbadegesin Ogunoye III and the families of the departed souls. I also pray that the Lord will grant them eternal rest and give quick recovery to those who are still recuperating.
- Today, the roles of the Traditional institutions in fighting crime, maintenance of peace, mediation between the Government and her employees, mediation through alternative dispute resolution among others had continued to become more prominent and increasing in recent times.
It is now obvious that the Royal Fathers plays a crucial role in curbing crimes and other social vices occasioned by the rising insecurity and its attendant effects in our country.
- Let me deeply appreciate the understanding and cooperation of all the traditional rulers in the State since I became the Chairman of the Council. There is no doubt that I have received enormous support from colleagues across the State. However, I want to appeal to you on the need to end this needless dichotomy between us which had led to the formation of the 130 Crowns. I believe strongly that our collective interest is protected under this council during my tenure and thereafter. The dichotomy that exist, if not checked may put us at a further disadvantage. My Colleague Royal Fathers, with all sense of humility and responsibility, let me remind us that our strength lies in unity. I want us all to see this as a possible and positive task that we can achieve without any suspicion or bickering.
- I believe so strongly that despite the enormous challenges and noticeable hiccups, we are capable of surmounting some of the myriad challenges bedeviling us if we are truthful with the required political will.
- Today, let me use the avenue to reiterate and once again re-echo our continued clamour for a constitutional role for our Traditional Rulers. This will enable us to contribute more effectively to national issues and play crucial roles in providing result oriented home grown approach to solving some of our identified challenges being the closest and accessible institution to the people. I urge Your Excellency to lend your voice to this demand by our Royal Fathers which I believe will assist greatly and complement your efforts at fighting crime.
- Your Excellency, there is no gain saying that, the need to constitutionally engage our Traditional Rulers can no longer be over emphasized as it is becoming clearer going by the prevailing situation. It is now a reality, that, the continued attempt to excuse them from performing constitutional role will not be in the best interest of our nation.
- Mr. Governor, I wish to make a passionate appeal to you to assist the Royal Fathers in completing the Oba’s House which is currently under construction. The venue of our meeting at Quarter 19 is no longer conducive in terms of space and amenities. We will sincerely appreciate your Excellency if you can accede to this request of ensuring the timely completion of this laudable project. Though, we are aware of the paucity of funds, however, we believe that this project is achievable considering the fact that you have prudently managed the meagre resources of the state for the benefits of all. Your Excellency, the entire Obas in Ondo State will remain grateful to see this great feat achieved under your administration.
- Your Excellency, I want to assure you of our total support for the REDEEMED agenda of your Government. I urge you not to relent in your efforts of making Ondo State better and safe.
We are indeed proud of this feat and we urge you to sustain the mutual relationship between Amotekun agency and the Traditional Rulers towards ensuring the safety of our communities.
- Let me salute all our security agencies for their loyalty and dedication to their fatherland especially the Commandant of the Amotekun Corps. I wish to urge them not to rest until victory is achieved and we can all sleep with our two eyes closed. The Royal fathers will be readily available as a partner in progress in this regards.
As Royal Fathers, we will continue to ensure that the existing peace and harmonious relationship among different tribes and religious groups in across the State is jealously guarded and sustained.
- Let me use this occasion to sincerely appreciate our amiable Governor for his great role in the nomination of one of the illustrious Sons of Ondo State and a Prince of Akure Kingdom, Hon. Ademola Adegoroye as a Minister of the Federal Republic. It gladdens our heart and we will continue to appreciate you for this good deed and love for Ondo State.
- I want to express my profound gratitude to Mr. Governor, the Deputy Governor, the State Assembly, the Judiciary and my colleague Royal Fathers. I solicit your fraternal support and cooperation as a steer the affairs of this council.
- Let me specially appreciate the men of the fourth estate realm, gentlemen of the press. There is no doubt that, I have enjoyed tremendous support from you. I am not taking this for granted and I solicit your continued support. Your cooperation is very essential and I assure you that we shall remain a partner in progress.
- Conclusively, Let me assure you that you that, as the Chairman, I shall steer the affairs of this council with utmost dedication, commitment and the fear of God. I rely solely on God and your good advice for guidance and direction as we take our Council to a greater height. I urge you all to continue to pray for me, the Ondo State Council of Obas and the Government of Ondo State.
“….it is not of him who wills, nor of him who runs, but of God that shows mercy” NKJV.
- Once again, I thank the amiable Governor of our dear Sunshine State, Arakunrin Oluwarotimi Akeredolu SAN, the Deputy Governor, Hon. Lucky Ormisan Aiyedatiwa, all Government functionaries and all the distinguished guests here. There is indeed a better assured day ahead.
Thank you for listening and God bless you all.
God bless Ondo State Council of Obas.
God bless Ondo State
God bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria.