The Good Governance Movement (GGM) on Thursday, sets up a peace committee to look into the current political impasse in Ondo State.
The group took the decision at the end of an exhaustive general meeting held on its WhatsApp group.
Comrade Deji Adebayo, Director of Media & Publicity, Good Governance Movement who signed the group’s communique disclosed that members were unanimous in their objection to the current political development in the State.
The following resolutions were reached by the national members and all well-meaning Nigerians present at the meeting, which lasted about 3 hours:
- That all members of GGM present at the meeting expressed their displeasure with the happenings in the government of Ondo State, caused by the sudden deterioration of the supposed cordial political relationship between the Governor, H.E. Oluwarotimi Akeredolu, and his deputy, H.E. Lucky Ayedatiwa;
- All members strongly express their views that the political upheaval followed no rational logic and is totally unacceptable to the generality of the people of Ondo State.
- From the bitterness, frustrations and anguish reported from field, members felt a sense of urgency on the need to prevent an outcome similar to 1983 political experience in Ondo State.
- The House of Assembly, Ondo State and all political gladiators were therefore called upon to focus on delivering dividend of democracy to the people rather than causing political mayhem in the state through the ill-fated impeachment process which was unanimously seen as an ill-wind with possible catastrophic outcome on the populace.
- A peace committee was set up comprising of notable personalities drawn from across our organization and the entire Ondo state.
- That this noble move for peaceful accord between all concerned parties is in the best interest of the good people of Ondo State and by extension for the reservation of good governance in our democratic society which is required especially at this delicate period of political turnarounds in Sub-saharan African countries; and
- That all members of the GGM and entire Ondo State are enjoined to remain committed to the cause of good governance and continue to lend their support for a peaceful and progressive society.