The Nigerian Union of Journalists, Ondo State council (NUJ), has called on Governor Lucky Aiyedatiwa to sustain the legacy of the late Governor, Oluwarotimi Akeredolu.
The NUJ particularly emphasized the need to fund the Amotekun corps in order to sustain the security gains in the State.
The union made the call during the January congress held at the Pen House in Akure on Thursday.
NUJ in a communique signed by Olaoluwa Meshack and made available to Precision Online Newspaper at the weekend, also called on political gladiators in the State to play the game by its rule as the November election draws near.
The communique is produced below:
COMMUNIQUE ISSUED AT THE END OF THE NIGERIA UNION OF JOURNALISTS (NUJ), ONDO STATE COUNCIL MONTHLY CONGRESS HELD ON THURSDAY, 25TH JANUARY, 2024, AT THE PRESS CENTRE, PEN CRESCENT, ALAGBAKA AKURE.
- The First Congress in 2024, which was well-attended by journalists across all chapels, and presided over by the Chairman, Leke Adegbite, deliberated exhaustively on variety of issues; while a MINUTE SILENCE was observed in honour of its departed Grand Patron and former Governor of Ondo State, late Arakunrin Oluwarotimi Akeredolu, and prayed God to grant his soul eternal peace.
- That the Congress frowns at the slow pace of development at the Ondo NUJ Pen Estate, Osi, directing land owners at the estate to develop their property within the next 6months or face likely revocation.
- That the Congress which hails the Union’s State leadership over its efforts to come up with 2nd phase of the Pen Estate, advises interested members to pay their deposit in the next 2weeks, so that the Union will not miss the opportunity.
- That the Congress expresses appreciation to Governor Lucky Orimisan Aiyedatiwa and some members of the immediate past State Executive Council namely Mr Wale Akinterinwa, Engr Raimi Aminu, Princess Oladunni Odu, Mr Dare Aragbaiye, Mrs Bamidele Ademola-Olateju among others for their support to Ondo NUJ and its members.
- That the Congress Congratulates the Ondo State Deputy Governor-designate, Dr Olayide Adelami and the new Secretary to the State Government, Hon. Tayo Oluwatuyi ‘Tukana’ on their appointments, urging them to work harmonious with the state Governor for overall development of out dear State.
- That the Congress urges political gladiators in Ondo state ahead of the 2024 Gubernatorial election to shun politics of bitterness, while playing the game according to the rules.
Also, the Congress also calls on the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, and Security operatives to maintain their principles of fairness and neutrality to all parties during the forthcoming February 3rd House of Reps Bye-election in Akoko Northeast/Northwest federal Constituency.
- That the Congress charges Governor Aiyedatiwa to sustain the legacy of late Governor Akeredolu in giving full support to the funding of Amotekun Security Corps to enable it and other security agencies to keep our state safe.
COMMUNIQUE DRAFTING COMMITTEE;
- Augustine Adeoye —State Information Chapel
- Isaac Afolabi – FRCN Positive FM Chapel
- Olusola Alaba —Correspondents’ Chapel
State Secretary, NUJ.