The Speaker, House of Representatives, Mr Yakubu Dogara had during the stakeholders meeting on Power in Abuja recently urged the participants to focus on the
following questions with an aim to finding answers that will lead to the
repositioning of the power sector for effective delivery to Nigerians.
• Why has power generation remained at less than 5000MW since the last 56 years?
• Why have various policies by successive governments failed?
• Why has the transmission infrastructure remained inadequate in wheeling the available power?
• How can the Federal Government rapidly expand the transmission infrastructure?
• Why are electric meters not available to most consumers thereby leading to contentious estimated billing?
• How can NERC establish a cost reflective tariff and reduce inefficiency in support of affordable end user tariffs?
Why has there not been an effective Gas Master Plan for Nigeria which
would have preceded the building of the gas fired power plants?
• What is the solution to the perennial pipeline vandalism that disrupts delivery of gas to the gas fired power plants?
• What can be done to improve local and foreign investment in gas gathering, processing and distribution?
• Why is there local and foreign investor apathy in investing in the Nigerian power sector?
• Why are the local and foreign financial institutions not funding the sector?
• How can the FGN create and sustain a stable investment climate for private sector participation in the power sector?
• How can the FGN maintain a creditworthy off-taker (NBET) of electricity?
• How can we maximize options like mini hydro and small solar projects to power rural communities?
• Why are most of the companies licensed by NERC not able to start their projects?
• What can be done to improve the poor energy mix?
• Why has the FGN not embarked on Energy Conservation campaign that will emphasize the use of energy saving bulbs etc.?
• What kind of guarantee is needed by foreign investors to facilitate investment in the power sector?
• What role can the legislature play to facilitate a rapid development of the power sector?
• Is there a political will to tackle head on the challenges of the power sector?
Is there any need for amendment of extant legislations or enactment of
new laws to galvanize both local and foreign investment in the Nigerian