The Governing board of the Rufus Giwa Polytechnic, Owo has approved the appointment of principal officers for the institution.
Mr. Gani Ogundahunsi was appointed as the Rector of the institution, Mr. Atiku Sule as the Registrar, and Mrs. F. R. Aladeniyi as the Librarian.
This was contained in a Press Statement issued by the Chairman of the governing council, Mr. Banji Alabi which was made available to newsmen.
According to the chairman, the issue of appointing principal officers for the institution contributes to the recent attacks and blackmailing against his personality and the governing council from some quarters, hence the need for the development.
The statement reads: “The past few days have been quite challenging for us as a Management having to deal with the campaign of calumny sponsored by some elements on campus who are hell bent on been a cog in the wheel of progress.
READ ALSO: LAUTECH Gets New VC
“One of the reasons for the sponsored campaign of calumny and attack on us, apart from the issues of corruption fighting back is the politics of appointing the substantive Principal officers of the Polytechnic which some special interest group believe should be their prerogative and not that of the Governing Council as provided by law.
“It is therefore important for all stakeholders to know the following.
(1) The appointment of principal officers of the Polytechnic is not a chieftaincy affair, whereby only a particular lineage can aspire to the positions.
(2) The Polytechnic is not a jungle where some war Lords will appoint and sustain one of their own through thuggery, intimidation and blackmail as we are witnessing now.
(3) It is not a political contest, whereby the most popular candidate will emerge.
(4) The positions of Owo Poly Principal Officers are positions created by law and are guided by the laws of Ondo state and the Polytechnic handbook.
(5) These positions are open to all citizens of Ondo state, All citizens of NIGERIA and indeed members of the international community (under some special circumstances) and the only basis for discrimination are as follows:
(1) intellectual capability of candidates
(2) Ability to drive change and attract funds/ development to the school.
(3) Ability to fulfil the motto of the school- (Advancement through technology) and to turn the school to one huge manufacturing company- where our students are well equipped as entrepreneurs, employers of labour and not job seekers upon graduation , as it is the case of other schools of technology around the world.
(4) Ability to be value driven, creation, production of value and products to enhance human development
(5) Ability to display verifiable power of influence and international connections to turn our school into something similar to Silicon Valley.
“Of cognisance here is that one of the arguments bothering on age being bandied by these enemies of progress that anyone aspiring to the position of Rector should not be more than 59years as at the time of application is NOT just ADVISORY but binding on ONLY Federal Polytechnics. The NBTE position on the matter is available for anyone in doubt and infact, a representative of the NBTE is part of the RUGIPO Governing Council for us to be properly guided.
“It is in view of this that the Governing council met today and in line with the powers conferred on the body by the “VISITOR” to the Polytechnic, Arakunrin Oluwarotimi Akeredolu, the laws of Ondo State and the Polytechnic handbook, hereby unanimously approve the appointment of the following principal officers with immediate effect:
(1) Mr Gani Ogundahunsi Rector
(2) Mr Atiku Sule – Registrar
(3) Mrs F R. Aladeniyi – Polytechnic Librarian